A spiritual life coach may mean different things to different people. And it’s really important to know what it means to you, if you want to pursue it as a career, or even a side hustle. Based on my idea of ‘What is a Spiritual Life Coach? (article to follow soon), these are my top tips on how to become one.
My Top Tips
- Find a suitable coach training course that will teach you the fundamental coaching skills you will need. If you’re not sure about this, do read my article, ‘Do I need a coaching qualification to become a spiritual life coach?’ (Spoiler alert: I highly recommend it)
- Learn the basics of setting up your life coaching business.
- Connect with a coaching community for additional learning and support. Take a look at Your Coaching Journey which is a community set up by myself and my partner. to bring coached together and provide coach development events and conferences.
- Become a member of a recognised coaching organisation such as the Association For Coaching, International Coaching Federation, or the European mentoring and Coaching Council.
- Practice, practice, practice! It’s the only way to become a better coach. At Your Coaching Journey you will find we run regular co-coaching practice groups so you can experience being coached and practice your own skills.
- Don’t forget insurance! You will need professional indemnity insurance, and usually you’ll find the company adds in free or low cost public liability too. I use a company called Balens in the UK to source my insurance. Some coaching organisations have preferred suppliers and special offers for their members.
- Create a simple to follow business plan, and go for it!
- Use a coach yourself so that you know the value of working with one. Every coach needs a coach!
It will take some time, and plenty of commitment to become a spiritual life coach. And I also know that the wonderful results you can see from coaching individuals to make change in their life, or to explore how to become more of their true selves, is most certainly worth it!
Helen Leathers is an experienced transformational women's coach with a spiritual approach. Featured in Soul & Spirit magazine and Coach magazine, she has written a number of books on spirituality and energy work and runs accredited spiritual life coach training courses.